Alcester Minster Churches
Worshipping God, making new disciples and transforming communities
St Mary Magdalen - Great Alne
When we meet
Welcome to St Mary Magdalen - Great Alne
'a worshipping community in the heart of the village'
We are warm and welcoming, with enthusiasm for worshipping the Lord.
We are part of one parish with St Mary the Virgin, Kinwarton.
For details of Sunday services please see the chart on the 'When we meet' page. Details of special services for Mothering Sunday, Easter, Harvest, Remembrance and Christmas will be listed on the noticeboard page: noticeboard.html.
During the year we also have a special festival service for St Mary Magdalen on the 3rd Sunday in July.
We enjoy many social events throughout the year, often with Kinwarton. Each year we usually enjoy a popular quiz in the spring and a Harvest Supper in the autumn and have also held a Bluebell walk in April, a concert by Warwick Brass Quintet in May and a Barn Dance in October.
Sat Nav: B49 6HR
We are situated off Henley Road, Great Alne. You can park in the lay-by and follow the sign ‘To the Church’, via the footpath next to Ye Olde Cottage.
If you are enquiring about a baptism or wedding at this church or are wanting your banns read here and are getting married in a church not in the Alcester Minster group then please contact the Administrator via the Contact Us page.
|Gareth Roberts-Davies - Churchwarden||01789 email@example.com|
|Sunday in the Month||Time||Church||Service||Description|
|1st||11 am||St Mary Magdalen Great Alne||Family Communion||Communion suitable for all ages with illustrated talk|
|2nd||9 am||St Nicholas Alcester||Minster Communion||Communion service without singing|
|11 am||St Nicholas Alcester||Minster Family Communion||Communion suitable for all ages with illustrated talk|
|3rd||11 am||St Mary Magdalen Great Alne||Family Service||Short service for all ages|
|4th||9 am||St Mary the Virgin Kinwarton||Holy Communion||Communion service|
|5th||10 am||St Nicholas Alcester||Minster Celebration||Communion for everyone in the Minster parishes|
Click the link for the 2019 programme of evening services: Evening
The church at Great Alne is first mentioned in the 12th century. In 1175 it was given to the Abbey of Winchcombe. Eventually it became part of the Abbey of Evesham. In 1248 the patronage was transferred to the Bishop of Worcester and then to the Bishop of Coventry.
The vestry, was added as a Sunday School in 1835. During the centuries it has been much restored and, in part, rebuilt. Additions include, in 1837, an extension to the west end of the nave, a gallery and a porch with a pepper pot turret. In 1860 a portion of the north wall was demolished to form an aisle which has now been furnished as a Lady Chapel.
There is one bell made by John Martin in 1670.
The font suggests the existence of the original Norman building. It was discarded in the 18th century and returned in 1842.
The East window (1860) is of Hardman glass. There are 15th century windows and a 13th century window which is a Leper Squint. There is a modern stained glass window in the north aisle.
In 1980 the church was rewired and the lighting system modernised. It has an oil fired boiler.
Alcester Minster Churches - 07840 284 294 (Administrator) 01789 764 261 (Rector)